Monday, July 25, 2011

Lan Fong Yuen in Tsim Sha Tsui


I always like shops that bring you back into childhood days. Lan Fong Yuen (蘭芳園) is definitely a shop like that.

For one, the shop itself looks like it comes from the past.. Even this outlet in a spanking new mall at Tsim Sha Tsui. (The original shop is at Central)

The shop is famous for "Lou Ting" (撈丁), which means "Stirred Instant Noodles" (撈出前一丁). 出前一丁 is a famous instant noodles brand in Hong Kong, manufactured by Nissin. The instant noodles are boiled, drained and then tossed with some sauce. It is then topped with chicken or pork, eggs and a ginger scallion mix.

"Stirred Instant Noodles" reminds me of the instant noodles dishes my sister and I used to make when we were much younger. Back then, instant noodles are our "specialty" and we would always add a fried egg or sausage in our noodles. Our "brand of choice" back then was not Nissin but Myojo.

Lan Fong Yuen is also famous for their milk tea. Some say they serve the best in HK but I never order milk tea at Lan Fong Yuen.

I like my milk tea with bread from Kam Hua. Instead, I'd order 7-Up with Salty Lemon (檸七). Salty lemon is preserved lemon and it is salty and sour, making it perfect with iced-cold, sweet 7-Up. This drink reminds me of how I used to insist having salt in my 7-Up as a kid!

Lan Fong Yuen also sell boxes of homemade salty lemon so you can bring them home to make this excellent beverage!


Salty lemon with 7-Up
Lou-Ding - with braised chicken wings, fried eggs and vegetables. 
The ginger scallion mix is most delicious

Lan Fong Yuen (蘭芳園)
36-44 Nathan Road
Shop 26, LG, Chung King Mansion (Woodhouse)
Tsim Sha Tsui

8 comments:

Fresh Fry aka 福星 said...

ah, wat fond memories of Lan Fong Yuen. their pork chop bun is very nice too though i've not had their lou-ding before. their milk tea is very nice too. hehehe.....

Malar said...

The restaurant must be very famous for their delicious food!

Blur Ting said...

Wah, drooling...
Haha, my name is also 丁!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh yes, I've heard about their famous pork chop bun. My favorite is in Macau - next time you head there, Fry, be sure to try it. It's THE BEST!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Malar, it's not too bad at all! :)

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh.. 丁 for Ting? :)

miruku said...

I only know Lan Kwai Fong is famous for SOHO & club thingie... now GO FOR FOOD is also in my list now. Thank you for the info, it is helpful :)

Petunia Lee said...

Yum!!