Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chicken Rice Balls at Hoe Kee

Chicken rice balls for two

The chicken meat was a little chewy and tough

"Chicken rice balls" (鸡饭粒) is a famous dish in Malacca. The dish is very much like Hainanese chicken rice, which one can easily find in Singapore. But the rice is being rolled into compact little balls, not unlike Japanese onigiri.

I don't find the chicken rice balls at Hoe Kee, a famous stall in Malacca particularly fantastic. The chicken meat was definitely not as tender as those you'd find in most Hainanese chicken rice stalls in Singapore.

But the rice balls were interesting to eat.. and it got me thinking... if there were some chicken meat wrapped in these balls, that will make them really good picnic food!

 
I liked the deco inside Hoe Kee

5 comments:

miruku said...

If you like Melacca chicken rice, you must try Ipoh tauge kueh teow someday too. I always think i'm lucky to born and stay in Ipoh- it's a heaven if you like food so much :)

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh, I would love to go to Ipoh. Heard lots abt the good food. In fact, it'd probably be my next destination for Malaysia!

Eileen. 静 said...

Hi there.. is there any long que at this stall? I am going malacca this friday.. hoping to try some nice chicken rice there :) Thanks!

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Eileen, the queue at this place is not as crazy. I went before lunch time and there was no queue at all. It'd be safe to avoid peak lunch and dinner hours, I think. :)

I am Hap(py) said...

I tried this when we were @ church camp. I agreed with you, is not that fantastic. In fact i think our sg version is nicer than them. But I simply love their chicken rice balls. That's all. Just give me that and I'll be happy :))