Sunday, March 27, 2011

Open Kitchens and No Deep Frying

There is no deep frying allowed in our house.

Except when The Mother-in-law is here because she can do anything she likes in the kitchen since she is the chief cook. But apart from the few weeks when The Mother-in-law is in town, deep frying is disallowed in our house.

I love deep-fried food, don't be mistaken. But when I want them, I go out to eat. My favourite place for deep fried food is Tonkichi, of course.

But I digress.

So what does one do when one cannot deep fry, even shallow fry?

I've come to discover that many a great recipe can be done by baking in the oven instead.

This recipe of chicken wings with octo vinaigrette called for deep-fried chicken wings. I baked the wings instead and then coated the wings in the vinaigrette.

Ingredients for the octo vinaigrette (Recipe from here)
2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
2 tbsp chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 fresh bird's eye chilli, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup sweet light soy sauce
2 tbsp canola oil
1/4 tsp Asian sesame oil
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
Fresh ground black pepper

I didn't have any fresh chilli so I used Korean chilli powder instead. And because I was too lazy to chop the garlic and ginger, I grated everything with my MasterPlane grater. It worked fine and I thought the wings were pretty good but apparently, it'd be so much better if you take the time to finely chop everything.

Next time, I'd be good and stick to the recipe..



And I'd also want to try making this sticky balsamic chicken by baking the chicken first.

4 comments:

Blur Ting said...

I must try this recipe. I'm not good at marinating chicken wings, so I am always looking out for good recipes.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Ting, do try it! Remember that this sauce is for tossing after the chicken wings have been baked though. :)

Malar said...

Looks tempting enough! Healthy way too! I should try!

My Sinfonia said...

I am going to try this. i love chicken wings yum yum