Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mixed Rice with Olive Vegetables

I like making mixed rice, or flavoured rice.

Somehow, I find them a lot more interesting than plain white rice or brown rice. I usually like to make these when I cook a one-dish dinner.

Here are a couple I've blogged about before - Mixed rice with chestnuts and mixed rice with edamame.

On Sunday, I made mixed rice with olive vegetables and edamame. Preserved olive vegetables can be found readily in most supermarkets. It is often used as a condiment for plain Teochew-styled porridge.

All you need to do is drain a couple of teaspoonful of the preserved olive vegetables into a pot of cooked rice and stir well. I added some edamame for texture but you can add anything you like.


Tonight, I also used the olive vegetables in my fried rice. The fried rice turned out pretty well too.



There is so much you can do with the humble little bottle of preserved olive vegetables. I'd definitely be using it in more dishes soon. Watch this space for more!

4 comments:

Wen-ai said...

And I have a bottle of Olive veg sitting at home! Totally have forgotten about it. Olive veg is my mom's fav... or seems to me that most Teochews definitely have a soft spot for Olive veg, aka "ka-na-cai". ;)Are you a teochew?

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Ah... I didn't know it is Teochew, actually. No wonder The Husband likes it. I'm not Teochew.. am Hokkien.. but yeah, I think "ka-na-cai" is nice! :)

Petunia Lee said...

I've been wanting make this for ages. Somehow, I thought it was salted olives. I bought the wrong thing.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Oh no! Is ok, you can still use those for salad! :)