Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Taiwanese Cuisine Part 3 - Shin Yeh Restaurant

I wasn't so keen to eat at Shin Yeh Restaurant (欣葉台菜料理) at first.

For one, we had a very heavy breakfast that day before we met my friend, T for lunch at Shin Yeh. And then, I know that Shin Yeh is a chain of fancy restaurants serving Taiwanese cuisine, with restaurants in Taiwan, Singapore and even Beijing. A few of the guidebooks refer to Shen Yeh as "classy and relatively expensive Taiwanese cuisine". Somehow, that doesn't sound particularly appealing to me. I would have preferred words like "wholesome", "homecooked", "simple" etc.. much more than "classy" and "expensive"

And yet the food at Shin Yeh was pretty good. The food is pretty down-to-earth after all.. and not the pretentious kind that I thought a "classy Taiwanese restaurant" would serve up. I liked the place a lot more when I heard that they served plain porridge with sweet potatoes.

We had Deep-Fried Oysters seasoned with Salt and Pepper (which is like oyster tempura flavoured with a very typical Taiwanese seasoning - salt and white pepper), Braised Intestines (I don't really eat intestines but The Husband and my friend seemed to like them), Fried Prawn Balls (Prawns, onions and water-chestnuts mixed with batter and then deep fried) and Towel Gourd cooked with calms (This is very good - the towel gourd soaked up all the sweetness from the calms)

 The Husband and I really couldn't eat very much due to our heavy breakfast.. but we still managed to almost finish up all 4 dishes. I would be looking forward to trying out the Shin Yeh at Liang Court in Singapore - to find out if it is as good.


Shin Yeh Restaurant 欣葉台菜料理
Various stores in Taipei - check out their website for details
I went to the one near Taipei 101, at 信義新天地A9
Address : 台北市松壽路9號8樓(新光三越信義新天地A9館8樓
Tel: +866(02)87861234
Website: http://www.shinyeh.com.tw/

4 comments:

Blur Ting said...

Hehe, I like how you break up your dining experiences into different posts.

I was too lazy to go into details, so I lump all my meals in HK into one post and everyone says "You ate so much food!" :-)

Petunia Lee said...

Whoa! You REALLY ate a lot. I thought I ate a lot but you did more. After reading yours and Ting's blog, is anyone else besides me on a diet? I ate 4 sticks of celery, 1 carrot and 15 pistachios for lunch to make up for the excesses of the holidays.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

LOL.. Petunia, I did.. I ate more actually.. watch out for more posts on Taiwan.. but then.. for most of these meals.. we had friends with us.. so at least it wasn't just the 2 of us. I want to diet too! But with colleagues leaving and all, I'm having lots of farewell lunches! :-s

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hi Ting, I like posting about restaurants in separate posts because then I can search back for the addresses when I want to go back to these restaurants. hehehe..