Saturday, April 10, 2010

Dim Sum at Neil Road

I have been on a quest for the best dim sum in Singapore.

Actually, that above statement is not completely accurate... I have been on a quest for good dim sum in Singapore.. and so far, many of the restaurants have been disappointing.

I have almost given up on this quest and have resigned myself to the fact that I will only have excellent dim sum a few times a year, when we go to Hong Kong.

But The Brother suggested I try out this place at Neil Road called Dim Joy. "We watched this TV program and it looks really good".



And so we went to this restaurant today.

Because there were just 2 of us, we only managed to order about 5 items on the menu:
  1. Ha-gao (Shrimp Dumplings) - The ultimate "test item" for any dim sum restaurant..
  2. Custard Buns - Steamed buns with custard
  3. Prosperity Pouch - Vegetables wrapped in a crepe skin and steamed
  4. Radish Cake with Conpoy - Steamed radish cake
  5. Crisp Skin Double Boiled Milk - Milk pudding with a layer of pastry on top
The Prosperity Pouch came first and it was good. The vegetables were really flavourful and the skin was super-thin but intact. I was really excited because I thought I've finally found IT.

The Prosperity Pouches

But the Ha-gao was ordinary.. the skin was thin enough but it was a little tough. The prawns were fresh enough though.. but I couldn't taste any bamboo shoots. Still, I hoped.

Ha-gao - the item I'd always order at any new dim sum restaurant. 
Any dim sum restaurant that does this really well will not fare too 
badly for other items as well.. usually..

The Radish Cake didn't disappoint.. although it was more like steamed radish rather than radish cake - there weren't enough flour for the whole thing to stick together.. But it tasted good so I couldn't really complain.

Steamed radish cake.. more like steamed radish.. but still yummy

But the the meal went downwards when the Custard Buns arrived. The bun was a little tough and the custard was... a bit gross.. It was way too sweet.. the sugar didn't really melt completely such that it was still crunchy.. and I couldn't taste anything beyond the sugary sweet taste.

Our final item was dessert - Crisp Skin Double Boiled Milk. It looked really good, I have to say.. but taste-wise, it was very average.. The pastry skin was very thin but it seemed to be a completely separate item from the pudding. They just didn't go well together. I would have preferred just eating the pudding on its own.

The Custard Buns and Crisp Skin Double Boiled Milk 
- items I will not order again..

Overall though, this is probably a restaurant I would come back again if I really want to have dim sum... but for now, I'm moving on to search for The One...

Dim Joy
Address: 80 Neil Road, Singapore 088842
Telephone: +65-62206986

2 comments:

Petunia Lee said...

I used to love Ruyi at Hyatt Hotel... but they closed it down and put in the Mezzanine. I never went after that.

Open Kitchen Concept said...

Hm.. I've never been to Ruyi.. Mezzanine - I've had western and japanese food there.. very so-so.. their desserts looked good but I never bothered to try..