Monday, October 12, 2009

Easy Onion Soup

I like making onion soup when:
1. I have too many onions at home and I want to use them up before they go bad, or
2. I want to make a soup that I don't need to fuss over too much

This onion soup recipe is so simple and easy-to-make that it is hard to go wrong, even for me. And it really taste quite good too! (At least to me it does.)

Ingredients
Some large yellow onions, finely sliced
Some red onions, finely sliced
Butter and olive oil
Plain flour
Chicken stock (or beef stock)
Some fresh herbs (thyme, oregano or sage)
Freshly ground pepper and salt, to taste

What I did
1. Put some butter and olive oil into a pot (do not use a non-stick pot as you want the onions to stick to the bottom and sides and brown..) over a small flame
2. Put all the onions into the pot
3. Wait... until all the onions are soften and the ones at the bottom and sides stick to the pot and browns nicely
4. Pour in some flour and mix well
5. Pour in the stock and stir well, scrapping the sides and bottom of the pot as you stir
6. Season with fresh herbs and freshly ground pepper
7. Leave the soup to simmer over a small flame
8. Season with more pepper and some salt.
9. Serve hot, with some freshly toast bread (preferably something crusty, like sliced french loaf) on top.

It will taste even better if you place some bread and cheese on top of the soup, and then toast them very quickly in a hot oven so that the cheese melts and browns slightly.

I'm usually too lazy to be bothered, since this soup taste quite good even without the melted cheese.



No comments: